Genuine Roof Deck Triumphs Over Roof Cladding Imitators
Tata Steel is the UK market leader in the manufacturing of structural roof decking and has been for over 40 years. This wealth of knowledge and experience bring together the means to specify, manufacture and supply products specifically for use as a roof deck in flat roof applications.
With cost currently being a key driver in the decision making of specification, contractors and some manufacturers are choosing to use roof cladding profiles as roof decks, which can lead to a number of significant problems on site.
Profiled cladding has been specifically designed to allow the maximum flow of rainwater to drain off the roof and therefore has a very wide trough and a narrow crown. When this profile is used in a roof decking application, the narrow crown does not provide sufficient bearing for the insulation board leading to the insulation boards cracking and the integrity of the roof potentially failing. To try and overcome this, some manufacturers recommend that the product is used ‘upside down’, so the large trough now provides the bearing for the insulation, but again, this can lead to several problems. The pitched roof cladding profile is not designed for flat roof deck applications and not suitable for the structural loadings likely to be applied. The narrow crown of the roof cladding profile, which is bearing on the steelwork, cannot support the applied loadings and can often collapse and crush over the support area. Further more, the wide trough of the roof cladding profile, when used ‘upside down’ to try and emulate a roof deck profile, is generally too wide, and the foot traffic that occurs during normal construction will lead to damage and creasing of the profile in this location. It is simply not strong enough to withstand the construction stage loadings that go with installing a flat roof.
The structural roof deck:
- Is designed for the intended application
- Provides excellent structural support
- Provides the required platform for foot traffic during construction.
- Provides adequate bearing for insulation boards.
- Have stiffening webs to the profile crown and trough
- Supports attachment of services.
- Is manufactured in a higher grade steel than profiled roof cladding.
- Can be perforated to assist acoustic absorption, whilst maintaining structural integrity.
- Is available in thicker gauges
- Is available in a wide range of depths from 32 mm to 200 mm to suit the application and technical requirement
- Can provide long cantilevers.
Should you require any further information on our structural roof decking range, an NBS specification or project design calculation for a specific application, please do not hesitate to contact Tata Steel on 01244 892199 or direct to our Technical team on 01244 892132
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org